Friday, April 13, 2012

Holding Electa

Elect Ruth is now 2.8lbs. Just 1 ounce over her birth weight. Her artery cord was removed making it officially possible for mommy to hold her for the first time.


They put a pick line in her arm so that that can draw blood often without poking her over and over. (it is similar to an IV that you get in your arm but it runs up her vein since she is so tiny.) Right here she has high flow in! Which is really awesome for her to be on it for 6 hours at a time. After I held her it was time for c-pap to be put back on. (gigantic head gear if you ask me!!!)


It took two nurses to get her to me, making sure all the cords and wires and tubes were all coming with her and in order. She felt so tiny on my chest but still so wonderful!


 I stopped bleeding the third day after my c-section and thought it was not right but the doctor said it was okay. The second she was placed on me I had a large gush of blood soak through my pants. I soaked through three pads after that in just four hours. I also almost fainted from so much blood loss. Either that or it was cafeteria food poisoning. The nurse had me lay myself in a recliner and she put a wet rag on my forehead and brought me ice water. She told me I had lost all color and was worried about me. After a rough and tough nights sleep I got over the light headedness and the nausea. I hate leaving my busy and wonderful home life filled with a husband and three needy children for this lame hospital where I always seem to get no sleep and a lot of loneliness. But holding her makes most of it worth it. I can't wait to hold her  more!!

4 comments:

  1. Did they say why you started bleeding so much again? That would be scary. I am glad that you finally got to hold her, what a great feeling that must have been! She is precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they said that sometimes the uterus will still have blood in it and won't release it until it contracts. They also said that holding your new baby tells the body to contract. My body just realized that I have a new baby!! Even though I am pumping all the time, I guess I just needed to hold her for my body realize that I wasn't just joking around about actually having a little one!

      Delete
  2. christina childressApril 13, 2012 at 2:57 PM

    johanna, im so happy that your baby girl is doing so good!! I miss you all so much!!! keep your head up like you have been!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sheesh! way to share awesome news with your BFF!!! my goodness! :) I'm still around till monday ya know! (and I'll ALWAYS have my phone with me!) I'm so glad you finally got to hold yoru baby girl. That makes me so happy. She really is so special. How is she doing? Is she progressing at a steady rate???

    ReplyDelete